Translate

Friday, June 8, 2012

So far. . .

We've been here for a month!  It hardly seems so. I wish it were possible for me to convey everything interesting that happens down here - I'll try.


Let me introduce Jacqueline and Elena.  One of these days, I'm sure I'll have a picture to share of them - they are employees of DanPer who work along with us in everything that we do.  They work here in the office at our apartment - and they are AWESOME!  They love to sing to their music - and like me, not so well. . .We've decided to start a choir together later today featuring music by Mana and Enrique Iglesias.  I'm sure we'll be a hit - and I've convinced them that we'll soon sing for the presidents of Peru and the United States. I don't think they believe me.


We have a little restaurant that we eat at almost everyday for lunch and dinner.  It's cheap and fantastic.  We pay about $2 for every meal, so I'm sure to come home loaded and fat. Jacqueline and Elena come eat with us on our lunch breaks - One time, I got Elena to admit that we are her favorite interns (sorry past interns, but we are pretty jammin down here!).  Along with that admission, Jacqueline said that she's going to miss us when we leave - which is still two months away.  I guess they just like the way we joke around with them.


Yesterday was Jacqueline's 24th birthday.  So for her birthday we went to DanPer for a 'surprise' cake.  The employees there sang her Happy Birthday, in English no less, and it was HORRIFYING and hilarious. I'm not sure if I'll ever have to contain my laughter that bad again in my life - I'm pretty sure they beat out the Green Family! After this little surprise, we stole both Jacqueline and Elena away to go eat lunch at Jacqueline's favorite restaurant.  It was a seafood joint and pretty top notch.  I ordered a filet of fried fish - it came out so beautiful that I about died from completion.  However . . . it wasn't so pretty on the inside.  I started on the wrong end of the fish and I think I ate a little fish blubber. Ya, I still gag thinking about it - kinda ruined my entire meal, which was bound to be DELICIOUS!


As interns, we are currently working furiously on completing our business plans.  The completed business plans will be pretty fantastic.  They will include the executive summaries and all the information someone would need to run the business - included all the financial data.  For the last couple of days, I've been working on a, may I say, beautiful excel spreadsheet for use in the business plans.  But to bore you even less, I'll explain why this is necessary.


On the fifteenth, we have to send our completed business plans to the investors and the Go! Global students that are coming down (like when I went to Europe, USU also has a group for South America and Asia). The students will show up here in Trujillo around the 20th of June.  For the next week, I will be assigned a group of students to basically tear apart my business plans.  We will visit all of the locations for the future businesses, we will try to prove and reprove the business processes and financial projections so that we can conclude with a recommendation for the investors.  


At the end of the week there will be a large meeting with the investors, the students, and hopefully all of the participants as well.  At this meeting we will give a presentation on all of our businesses.  This meeting is crucial - crucial that we perform in the best interests of the participants, basically fight for their business.


I'm really grateful for this opportunity. I have the chance to develop, along with the other inters, nine businesses and then seek financing for them. To work on their behalf is a remarkable experience.  We have grown our relations with them to the point that they trust us and value our opinion. Obviously the participants are still in control of what their business is going to be - but the fact that they allow me to make suggestions and changes to help them become better, it's really gratifying.  Wow, I love awesome opportunities like this one!


I'm still working on setting up a DropBox account so that all of us interns can easily share our pictures with each other. Once I do, I'll post them!  As of right now, I don't really have many that aren't already of Facebook. Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts